How to become a Celebrant

To perform weddings and civil unions, a celebrant must apply to and be registered with the Department of Internal Affairs, Births Deaths and Marriages. Information for can be found on their website:

For all other ceremonies, a celebrant does not require formal registration.

However, a competent celebrant does require knowledge of how to create ceremony and how to work with people. Understanding the part other people play in the ceremony, one’s legal obligations and limitations is vital. Celebrants need to have a good general knowledge of the workings of the industry. They are required to know its conventions and practices, as well as an understanding of the part played by the other professionals they will work with.

The Celebrants Association of New Zealand is the ideal way to gain this knowledge and understanding. We provide networking, support, education and mentoring through conferences, workshops, branch meetings, newsletters and a members only website area. We operate within a framework of a Code of Ethics and a set of Professional Standards based upon the required knowledge and understanding.

The Celebrants Association NZ also believes that celebrant specific professional training leading to a recognised qualification is very important and has approved the qualifications of two New Zealand training providers, The Celebrant School and The Celebrant Training College and both are Celebrants Association NZ approved training providers. Undertaking celebrant specific training with either of these approved training providers is highly recommended.

If you would like to join the Celebrants Association NZ, please fill out our online application form.


Already Registered?

$172.50 / yearJoin CANZ